Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Audacity of Asking

New Year's resolutions have always fascinated me. I am a goal-oriented person, and I recognize the means necessary to get to the ends. It's not that I like doing the "dirty work" itself, it's that I love the results, which causes me to enjoy the process. But with our culture, it's about instant gratification. We want to succeed, but we don't really want to work all that hard. I read a survey that said that, on average, New Year's resolutions are forgotten by February 13th. Wow.

So here's how I went about making resolutions that will stick: I sat down in a quiet place and worshipped God for awhile. I asked Him to open my eyes and show me what He wanted me to learn. I specifically asked Him to challenge me so that I might grow. Asking the Lord is challenge us is a tricky thing to do, because He listens. And He knows what we're capable of. And He knows that we have no idea what His power really is and what the Holy Spirit can do inside of us. I went through my old journals, paying special attention to where I've been the last few months, where I am, and where I want to be. I poured out my fears and my hopes, my dreams and my desires.

This year, I memorized the book of Matthew and wrote my first song (music AND lyrics!) I feel like I'm being led this year to write more music and to memorize at least five more books. I've started with Philippians because I saw several times where I'd written about memorizing it within the last four months. The idea of memorizing five books of the Bible in a year is kind of scary. That's a lot of verses! But I did ask for a challenge, and my Dad certainly gave me one. I don't know what He's preparing me for, but I know He'll be there along the way. Memorizing Matthew changed my life in ways I never could have imagined. I can't wait for this year!

More than anything else, though, I really want to continue to be transformed by the Word of God. 1 Corinthians 5:17 tells us that anyone in Christ is a new creation. Jesus Christ is the "new" that was, is, and will always be. In Romans 12:2, we are told to be transformed. It's not that we're not allowed to be who we are. God doesn't want a Kingdom full of people who are exactly the same. He designed us uniquely for a reason. But that doesn't mean we don't have a transformation to undergo. The question is, are we willing to let go of the old, are we willing to let ourselves fall, are we willing to ask to be made new? Because if we ask, He'll answer. We might not always like or recognize it, but He will. And all we have to do is ask.



Lord, break down the walls I hide behind. Make me open to both the creation and You, our wondrous Creator. Teach me, test me, make me see, set me free. I want to love the world and its people like You do. I want to be transformed and I need You to be my breath and very life. Amen.


Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Hebrews 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment