Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Where Pain Meets Beauty

I am currently re-reading The Shack by William Young in preparation for one of my classes starting in a few weeks. I won't ruin the book for anyone who hasn't read it yet, I promise.

In the novel, a man is invited, apparently by God, to return to what he calls "the icon of his deepest pain". Years ago, he experienced what is referred to in the book as "the great sadness", and it has never left him. He struggles deeply with the idea of returning because of the pain he felt.

I habitually write in my books, and on that page, I have writtten, "When we accept God's invitiation to meet Him at the cross of Jesus Christ, we are at the most painful place in all of human history. But it is also the most beautiful, because it is there we find redemption, forgiveness, grace, and LOVE" When God stepped down into our darkness as our Savior and took His place on that cross, He was doing the single most difficult and painful thing that has ever been done. He became the sins of the world. You know the spiritual darkness you feel when you're sinning, or think of your past sins? Well Jesus felt that for every single person who has ever walked the planet, and He felt it all at once. I can't even begin to imagine feeling all that.

But as incredible as that is, it's not the end. After His death, Jesus rose again. He defeated all of that hurt and anguish and lives today. Ask yourself what that takes, to get past such incredible darkness and turn it into the most radiant light that's ever been seen. It's quite the beautiful exchange.

I know this song is really long, but if can take the time to listen, it's worth it.


Lord, thank You for turning darkness into light, and for making bad things good. Thank You for taking me as I am but also for Your desire to transform me. Amen.

That light shines in the darkness, yet the darkness did not overcome it. John 1:5

Didn't the Messiah have to suffer these things and enter into His glory? Luke 24:26

No comments:

Post a Comment