Sunday, January 23, 2011

Silence

I was listening to the song "Listen" by Josh Wilson, and I began to think of verses about silence...Be still and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10), Quiet yourself and wait expectantly for the Lord (Psalm 37:7).

The word silence comes from a Latin word meaning “stop”. "Stop" is very different from the ways I've thought about silence. I realized that the most silent moments in history spoke volumes, and that loud last words brought silence over an entire people.

“It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three, because the sun’s light failed. The curtain of the sanctuary was split down the middle. And Jesus called out with a loud voice, ‘Father, into Your hands I entrust My spirit’. Saying that, He breathed His last” (Luke 23:44-46).

The world was stopped by darkness, and quieted by Christ's death, so loud, so shaking. I began thinking about my life; I have an excitingly blessed adventure going for me, and my days are filled with motion. But it is in the silence, the stopping times, that I hear what God is saying. It is then that I can really appreciate the noise. When I stop moving, quit scrambling to have it all figured out, the Lord shows me He is speaking volumes just as clearly and loudly as my life. I'm just looking in the wrong direction.



Lord, Teach me to recognize Your presence. Let me stop and bow in the wonder of Your name, this great mystery that is loud in the silences, and silences the loudness. I want more of You, God. Through Jesus, Amen

But the Lord is in His holy temple; let everyone on earth be silent in His presence. Habakkuk 2:20

Let all people be silent before the Lord, for He is coming from His holy dwelling. Zechariah 2:13

No comments:

Post a Comment