Monday, January 17, 2011

Living in Relation

Welcome back to the running metaphors - track is officially in season!

Today we were doing circuits, a pretty tough workout, and I was the only girl put into a group of two other guys. There were several all-female groups, but for whatever reason, I was in the only coed team. I was initially hesitant. I've been working hard, but I mean these guys play football and lift a lot of weight, and I just didn't think I'd be able to hold my own. So even though I piece of me wanted to show these guys that I could hack it, the first station took off with me hanging back a little bit.

Well I began to gain some confidence, and I do know these guys, and it seemed as though they really wanted to work with me, not against me. By the third station, we'd fallen into a smooth balanced rhythm of pushing and encouraging each other. We got an amazing workout, but also sincerely enjoyed each other's company.

There's a song by Tenth Avenue North called Hallelujah with a first line that has always captivated me, "At first I am afraid, but not because of fear, but the Holy of holies is drawing me near" That's kind of the same type of thought I was going through at practice today. And it completely depicts humanity's relationship with our Creator. Until Christ, we had no way to have a real relationship with our Father in heaven. Although He loves us so much, He is also a righteous and fair judge. God sees all of our sin, and that sin is what keeps us from knowing God. He desires that relationship, but He can't justly have it with all of our sin and shame getting in the way. So what's He to do?

He takes on the body of a man, Jesus Christ, and steps down to our world. To teach, but also to serve. He lived a perfect, sinless life. And then, He embodied our sin; He became it, and put it to death forever. And then Jesus Christ our Lord conquered the grave. He rose again, leaving His Spirit to guide us and help us relate to God our Maker.

God doesn't want to look down on us or prove how much better than us He is. He already knows that. This Guy created the entire universe. What does He have to prove? He wants instead to draw us into a real relationship with Him, only possible by the sacrificial love of our Savior. He came to this earth to relate to us, and He's never left it. Talk to God like you would any other person you're in a relationship with. Talk about your hopes, dreams, and fears. And then listen. Listen to what He has to tell you. Realize what a privilege it is to be in this holy covenant. And do everything you can to protect and nurture it. Let Jesus set you free. Let your Father draw you in. That relationship is the most precious thing we can ever have.




He erased the certificate of debt, with its obligations, that was against us and opposed to us, and has taken it out the way by nailing it to cross. Colossians 2:14

No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. John 15:15

No comments:

Post a Comment