Saturday, May 30, 2015

Psalm 139:22

I hate them with complete hatred; I count them my enemies. 

As I said yesterday, I bristle at verses like these. I am not watering anything down here: we are to hate sin because it is an offense to the holiness of God. But I don't think the Bible tells us to hate people who sin. In fact, I believe it says the opposite. 

You have heard that it was said to those of old, you shall not murder, and whoever murders will be liable to judgment. But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council, and whoever says, "you fool!" will be liable to the hell of fire. Matthew 5:21-22 

Based on this, and what I know to be true of God, I don't believe it is His will got us to hate anyone. It's not our job. He is the judge, not us. I also believe the Bible and know that every word is profitable for instruction, so I still want to take this verse seriously. 

My thought it that the psalmist is actually in sin here (David? A sinner? Nah...adultery what? Uriah who?). Anyway, this may be evidence of his sinful condition; after all what will Jesus tell us about our enemies? 

But love your enemies, and do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. Luke 6:27-28 

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. Luke 6:35-36 

There is no indication that we are ever called to hate anyone. Should we hate sin? Yes. Should we be able to recognize enemies of the cross and be aware of what that might mean for us? Yes. But we don't hate people. We bless them, we pray for them, we do good, and we are merciful. 

Sorry David. I think you need a heart check on this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment