Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Psalm 139:11

If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me and the light about me be night", 

This, here, is utter depression. Nothing good is coming and the good I have will turn away from me. There is no hope. With the last two verses, and now this one and the next, I'd thought about doing them in pairs, because, for example, this verse without its punchline is pretty gloomy. I'm just dying to say, "But God!" But I think that by sitting on just this verse, I see something else: I am reminded that there are people who live in this place, who have no hope, or cannot see it right now. There are many people, in and out of the church, who struggle with depression, who don't see anything beyond the darkness in which they currently reside. Perhaps you have visited this place or even live there now. If I want to love and serve you, I have to know it, even on some small level. I have to see a glimpse of what it's like to be unable to claim "But God!" for myself. And this dwelling in darkness is what will make tomorrow's verse shine even brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment