Friday, May 22, 2015

Psalm 139:14

I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

I wrote this verse down early in the morning added it to its thirteen predecessors. It memorized easily. The reflecting, though, has been over a thirteen hour process.

When I decided to tackle this psalm, I knew that, right now, this verse would be the hardest. When you are struggling with your body, against your very self, declaring this verse is a serious challenge. To thank God for making you, to say that you are one of His wonderful works, to declare that you know this from the inside out, this sits somewhere between a lie and a dream. It may be someone else's truth, but certainly not your own.

I have a strong memory of a professor (Muslim, at a liberal arts college) declaring this over our Quest for Justice class on our last day, of it being an overwhelmingly positive affirmation and the perfect culmination to a semester of discovery.

But now, I don't know how to believe it could be true - am I really fearfully and wonderfully made? Can my soul really know that?

I don't have a tidy wrap up tonight. I am still some way from integrating this truth into my being. But I do have hope that I too will sing with David, because I know that God shines light into my darkness and I can never go too far to be out of His hands. This is where I will rest.

From Safe by Phil Wickham 

These are the hands that built the mountains, 
The hands that calm the sea
These are the arms that hold the lame 
And they are holding you and me 
These are the hands that heal the leper, 
Pull the lame up to their feet 
These are the arms that were nailed to the cross
To break our chains and set us free

You will be safe in His arms
You will be safe in His arms 
The hands that hold the world are holding your heart
This is the promise He made
He will be with you always 
When everything is falling apart 
You will be safe in His arms


No comments:

Post a Comment