Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent: Asked and Answered

Little sister asked a great question today, and I don't think my answer was too shabby either ;) Here it is

Jessica: help me

Me: With what?

J: am i supposed to give up something for lent

Me: If you want to, and if you understand that fasting is meant to bring us closer to Jesus. Fasting isn't about what we do or don't do; it's not about us at all. It's about the reality that Christ has already given us everything so we don't need anything else.
So it's helpful to fast from something that takes you away from Him, or is an idol in your life. Like if you are more excited about a new facebook notification than reading the Word, it can be beneficial to take a break for a season and re-assign that time to prayer, worship and Bible study. If you turn to food, or a certain kind of food, for comfort you might be blessed by giving it up for awhile in order to help turn your heart to the One who is called the Comforter.
I'm repeating last year - I'm giving up complaining about other people, because it's not edifying for me or for them. And the command Jesus gave is to love God and love people. When I focus on their faults and how they've wronged me, I'm not loving them. When I catch myself complaining, I find three reasons to thank God for their life. To see them how God sees them, to see the patience He practices with them, to see the patience He's always had with me, that helps me grow and love the Lord more deeply.

And if anyone else is looking for a way to FEAST on the Bread of Life this season, the insightful, godly, brilliant Ann Voskamp has a devotional for us.
Bread for today, hope for tomorrow -


No comments:

Post a Comment