Monday, March 25, 2013

Sin and Narnia

Thank you all for bearing with me during my week off! I had a wonderful time with my various visitors, and each one blessed in me in a unique way.

I have been reading and journaling through it all, but I don't know how many of those thoughts will be translated into blog posts.

One day, the Chronicles of Narnia books were all $1.99 on kindle. I've read them all, and I've never been particularly fond of them, but I was just feeling this urge to read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe one more time. I have been captivated like none other.

Consider this quote,

"'Well,' said Lucy rather slowly (for she wanted to be truthful and yet not be too hard on him), 'well, that was pretty bad. But you're so sorry for it that I'm sure you will never do it again'. 

'Daughter of Eve, don't you understand?' said the Faun. 'It isn't something I have done. I'm doing it now'" 

I found this to be a terribly poignant way of discussing our old nature and the manifestation of sin in the life of the Christian. How can we be genuinely repentant and yet continue to sin, even clothed in Christ's righteousness? Although the Faun indeed has not committed the act he described, this idea could be extrapolated to mean that "It isn't just something I've done, I'm doing it now as well". Salvation is a one-time gift, but sanctification is a life-long process.

Consider further Edmund and the Lady, also known as the White Witch. She enticed him with Turkish Delight and promised him powers in her kingdom. Doesn't that sound familiar. Upon realizing with whom he had ben dealing, Edmund thinks to himself,

"when he heard that the Lady he had made friends with was a dangerous witch he felt even more uncomfortable. But he still wanted to taste that Turkish Delight again more than he wanted anything else" 

Conviction of sin can be powerful. And yet, once we know we are actually dealing with Satan, we may still choose pleasure over holiness.

O Lord, please help our unbelief!


No comments:

Post a Comment