Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Lean Into the Ugly

Lean into the ugly 

Whisper thanks to transfigure it into beauty 

Give thanks for all things 

At all times

Because He is all good

Ann Voskamp's words, my structure


Yesterday there was a lot of ugly. I lost myself in it. I worked myself up and perpetuated unnecessary anxiety. It was unfounded, and I almost feel like I need to apologize to pretty much anyone I came into contact with yesterday. So many thanks to Camilla, Floyd,  Alex, Natalie, and especially Betsy for reminding me, in their own ways, that the lines are falling for me in pleasant places (Psalm 16:6).

But my reaction to ugly isn't to lean in; it's to make it go away. I run from it, and it pursues. It overwhelms. It makes more ugly.

But what if?

What if I could whisper thanks?

What if could be brave enough to press into the ugly moments and turn them around?

This may look ugly, but God says these are my pleasants and that my inheritance is beautiful.

Not ugly.

Beautiful.





No comments:

Post a Comment