Friday, November 23, 2012

I Am Free

Pastor Richard Wurmbrand spoke of Jesus in Communist Romania, and paid dearly for it. He spent 14 years in prison, being tortured on a regular basis. He lived in silence, with no books and nothing to write with, not even a cellmate to talk to. He composed over 300 sermons while in prison, committing them to memory using rhymes and other memorization strategies. He spent his first hours after being released just writing them all down so he would not forget.

Richard Wurmbrand also wrote a number of books. I am reading Alone With God, and he shares his thoughts from his cell. In one breath taking line, he talks about freedom:

I do not desire to be free. I am free.
That blew me away. Here is a man with no freedom - he doesn't get to make any choices except what goes through his mind, and he is at the mercy of his torturers. And yet, he is so sure of who God is and what Christ has done, that even in a Communist prison, he can say, "I am free"

No comments:

Post a Comment