Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Healing My Faithlessness

I will heal their apostasy;
    I will love them freely,
    for my anger has turned from them. Hosea 14:4

“Return, O faithless sons;
    I will heal your faithlessness.”
“Behold, we come to you,
    for you are the Lord our God. Jeremiah 3:22


God's faithfulness has been among my favorite of His attributes for quite some time. I love how He was working for our good long before we were even created. Mimi talked one day about how our Father knew that His beloved people would sin, and Jesus said He would come down as our ransom. She teared up as she said it, and when I think about it, so do I. Isn't it incredible? Our God was faithful to us, when He knew that we would not be faithful to Him.

That's why I LOVE Hosea's story. Hosea loved his bride even though he knew she was already bonded with so many other men. She had not been at all faithful to him, yet he remained faithful in that faithlessness. It's easy to love someone when they love you back - when they give you all of their attention and affection and tell you why they love you, all the things that make you great. She was hard to love. 

And so are we. 

True, devoted, constant and loyal. These are synonyms for faithful. The Lord is devoted to us. Doesn't that seem strange? Unbelievable? But praise Him, for it is true indeed. Before time began, He loved us, and continues to love us with that everlasting love. Christ died for us, and lives ever to make intercession for us. 

But I think it gets even crazier. Because even after Christ died, we did not become intensely faithful. We are not loyal and true and ultimately devoted to our King. But the Holy Spirit is making us new. He transforms us. And part of that is enabling us to love God. He is healing our faithlessness by drawing us closer to God. He pulls our hearts in and causes us to seek after, to desire our Lord. 

Thank You Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment