Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Real St Patrick

I am quite annoyed by the drunken shenanigans on campus today. I would like to properly honor the courageous missionary here in awe of his commitment to Jesus Christ and the saving grace of our Lord.

St. Patrick was actually English, not Irish. At the age of 16, he was captured by Irish pirates and sold into slavery in Ireland. During his time of imprisonment, he said, "It was there that the Lord opened the understanding of my unbelieving heart, so that I should recall my sins and turn with all my heart to the Lord my God.” After 6 years in slavery, Patrick managed to escape Ireland, but he decided to return to that place of some of his darkest hours as a missionary, bearing the light of Christ. He understood that the Irish people were slaves themselves, held captive to sin and were in desperate need of our Savior's redemption. During this time, many people were being put to death for preaching the Gospel, and Patrick himself was put in chains and tortured; still he boldly proclaimed the truth and love of God. Ireland responded greatly to the Word, and celebrated Patrick for leading them to the freedom of the Lord. It's important to know that they weren't really responding to Patrick himself, but the Holy Spirit working through him.



Lord, I thank you for the audacity of Your humble servants throughout time, and for the courage of Patrick. I thank you for working in him to lead so many into Your Kingdom. I pray You would reveal Yourself in our world today, and raise up ambassadors of Your grace and truth. Forever in Christ, Amen.


My eager expectation and hope is that I will not be ashamed about anything, but that now as always, with all boldness, Christ will be highly honored in my body, whether by life or by death. Philippians 1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment