Friday, February 14, 2014

It's (Not That) Complicated

This is going to be disjointed. Sorry.

Preschool Valentine's Day is the best. And I mean the best. The kids get so excited and have a ton of fun and apparently it's a give gifts to your coaches holiday as well...this gal made out pretty well. Between the kids and the kittens, this year has been pretty great. Although last year's spontaneous c-haus hangout will always have a special place in my heart.

Beyond that, it's been a weird couple weeks in my personal life. I've been seeing how prone to wander I really am. If I say Christ is my first love, it means He is my first priority in all ways, in all seasons. And a lot of things will try to get in the way. Particularly this past week, I've come face to face with the fickleness of my own heart. I have pleaded with God to search my heart and oh how He has been faithful His promise to answer our prayers.

I read It's (Not That) Complicated by the Botkin sisters, and it was really well-timed. I think the Botkin name turned a lot of people off of reading it, but aside from a couple minor things, it was really practical, biblical, and overall enjoyable (the minor things have to do with the fact that I don't think they have the experience to speak to specific circumstances people not raised in the church face).

Here are a few of the quotes I pulled out:

"if our hearts are not right, nothing else will be. And nothing else matters" 

"Women really only help men in one of two directions: toward God or away from Him" 

"A God honoring friendship needs to start with the understanding that it's not about you. And then it needs to grow to the understanding that it's not about you and him either" 

"Own the truth that true joy and satisfaction only flow from God Himself and that any relationship engaged in for our own pleasure rather than for His sake is soul-destroying idolatry" 

"God leads us through the truths in Scripture, not through our fickle human hearts" 

"If we say we're Christ's, then His love needs to be the most exciting to us; His approval needs to be our most sought after treasure. His friendship needs to be our true comfort. His presence needs to be real enough that we never feel alone, His protection should be our source of security; His ownership of us needs to give us our sense of belonging, His strength, glory, beauty and power needs to be our delight and our boast" 

That's it. Nothing particularly interesting or insightful, but sometimes that's just how life is.


No comments:

Post a Comment