Friday, August 30, 2013

Let Marriage Be Held in Honor

By now, pretty much everyone has dissected Miley's lude antics at the VMAs last weekend. If you really want to know how I feel, this musician's post pretty much does that: http://jessaanderson.com/wanderlove

It's not hard to see myself as Gomer or the woman at the well or Miley. I am aware of my depravity and what my "smallest" sins look like in the face of God's holiness and justice. In January, I stood in front of my peers at school and said I was another whore that Jesus condescends to love. 

What I am most disturbed about, however, is the fact that Robin Thicke's part in this receives maybe one sentence for every page that's been written. A married father singing a disgusting song while a 20 year old girl drapes and grinds all over him. Role models for girls? What about all the dads out there? What about marriage? 

Has our view of marriage crept so low that this is really no big deal? I would probably vomit if that were my husband. I would be so embarrassed, so painfully sad. I can't help but think of my two dear friends tying the knot this weekend; is this really all there is for them? What does it even mean for them to be married? Does it matter? 

 It took me 20 minutes to find a decent card for these friends that wasn't about the wedding but the marriage. Because our world loves weddings. Weddings are pretty and joyful and happy. But marriages are long and can be trying and messy, because it's always about two sinners trying to love well. 

And that's exactly why a high view of marriage is so important for those involved. Paula Patton has said that she's fine with everything that happened, but would she have felt more loved and honored and respected if Thicke had told Miley no? 

I don't know them, or their relationship, but I have to believe the answer is yes. And if the answer is yes, then we should be in as much of an uproar about Thicke as we are about Cyrus. Because if marriage is about that unconditional yada love, about knowing and being deeply known, respected and loved, then he is the real train wreck here. 

Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. Hebrews 13:4

In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. Ephesians 5:28

No comments:

Post a Comment