Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Eating Feelings

Readers of Betsy's blog know this concept. Stress eaters get it too. And of course there's always Mean Girls.

I read a book called The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. I picked it out because lemon cake is my favorite.  I have told my mom for years that there will be lemon cake at my wedding. I needed to know why it was sad. 

Anyway, in the book, a girl develops the gift of being able to taste feelings in food. The lemon cake her mom makes is sad because of her parents' struggling marriage. She can taste the difference in factory made goods. The onion soup at the French cafe tastes like love and wholeness. She tastes her mother's affair in a roast. 

It made me think about what my food must taste like. The last times I've cooked for people, I haven't really used a recipe. I've taken my time. I've played music I like and enjoyed every minute. I hope that food tastes like contentment and joy and satisfaction. 

It was a really interesting read. It was kind of a silly novel, so I'm not sure the author was making the social commentary that I'm getting, but it does make you think about what you put in to what you make, and what you're bringing to the table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment