Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Friend Jesus

Today we had the first team hill workout of the year, and it was a combination of a couple classic workouts. It also lends itself to people going at their own paces.

Well, most of the guys finished before most of the girls (a few exceptions), but I was on my last one when a new friend, a freshman who I don't know all that well decided to lend encouragement. Now, everyone who was done was cheering from the sidelines, and even on the "recovery" parts. But this guy took it to a new level. He actually went down to the bottom of the hill with me and paced me, pushing me to run alongside him. It was a huge blessing to me, because hills are not exactly my forte.

I'm not sure if I've said it, but God can and does speak through other people - and not just believers, but nonbelievers too. In fact, some of those statements speak louder than if it were a brother or sister in Christ. Even though Alex is not currently submitted to Jesus as Lord, in God's sovereignty, Alex can still be used by his Creator and Father to send a message to another daughter.

God is not a passive force. Jesus is not the friend who watches from the sidelines, lending kind words and positive thoughts. He is the friend who is willing to go the extra mile and discard His own freedom in order to take on your suffering. It is so active! He literally takes on your pain, your exhaustion and replaces it with His strength and endurance. What a friend!



Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. 1 Peter 5:7

No one has greater love [no one has shown stronger affection] than to lay down (give up) his own life for his friends.You are My friends if you keep on doing the things which I command you to do. I do not call you servants (slaves) any longer, for the servant does not know what his master is doing (working out). But I have called you My friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from My Father. [I have revealed to you everything that I have learned from Him.] John 15:13-15


No comments:

Post a Comment