Monday, August 8, 2011

Adoption

I was raised by the same two parents my entire life, but my mother is the only biological parent. I’ve traveled across the country, gotten jobs, and registered for school and legally, my adoption status has never effected me.

Until today. I was sitting with the clerk as she reviewed my passport application and as she was getting ready to send it off she said, “What a minute. You have listed that your last name was once Davy”. “Yes”, I responded, “But my birth certificate says Finman because my stepfather legally adopted me” She then told me that if that was the case, I would need to present an adoption decree. I left the office wondering how on earth I was going to find a form that I had never seen in my entire life. After a brief conversation with my mom, who was at work, I was given a direction to a file. In that file was a series of county documents, court decrees, and letters from law offices: all the things that come with being adopted and having a legal name change.

Although I’ve always known about my biological dad, I had never seen the paperwork. As I looked at his signature, forfeiting all paternal rights, I completely broke down. It was the worst feeling of being unwanted by someone who is supposed to love me just because I’m his. And I know that he didn’t want me. He never wanted a family.

But then, in the middle of my darkness, I felt the Lord speaking to me, telling me that I was not an accident. He made me, and He knew me before I was born (Psalm 139). And He sent His Son to die for me while I was still a sinner (Romans 5:8). And in Christ, we are all adopted into one family; we are the children of God (Ephesians 1:5, 1 John 3, Galatians 3:26). It was in that moment that the same way that I had never really understood the effects of being adopted by my (step)father would have on me, I had never really comprehended the wonder of being adopted by a heavenly Father, and the tremendous sacrifice it took.




Lord, how I rejoice at my adoption in Your Son!What I have on earth is nothing that could ever compare to the glory You have lavished upon me, that You would look at me with gladness. I am in the best possible hands because I am in Your care!

My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. Psalm 139:15-16

Having predestined us into the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. Ephesians 1:5-6
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 1 John 3:1

1 comment:

  1. Kate, this is awesome - you are such a gift from God. He is truly our dad. I hope you know how much you are loved

    ReplyDelete