Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Honeymoon With Jesus

1 John 4:8 tells us that God is love. We know from the Gospels that Jesus is God. And 1 Corinthians 13 tells us what love is, and who God is.

But what's really amazing is that not only is the Lord, but He created us and the world out of love. And we were made to love Him, as well as each other (Mark 12:30). And do you know what else He created? Romance. He scripts perfect love stories for those who are willing to live by His ways. He is the Source, the Author of all romance and intimacy.

In marriage, romantic gestures can differ for each couple, but it's always appreciated. It's a pursuit, and it's enjoyment. But marriage is only a picture. It's an image of the love Christ has His own bride, the Church, of which all believers are members. So through the Holy Spirit, Jesus is the One constantly pursuing our hearts, providing us with love, joy, comfort, and peace. A husband might die for his wife, but Christ loved you before you were even born, so much so that He died to set you free (Romans 5:8) because God's own hand formed you and made you beautifully (Psalm 139).

All things considered, don't laugh at me when I tell you that today felt like a honeymoon with Jesus. I awoke and "I heard the voice, the voice of the One I love calling my name" (Klaus feat. Kari Jobe, "Running"). With only a single cross country practice on the schedule for today, it left the rest of my day free for a purposeful intimacy. I can hardly even describe it. To have the Lord, who is all powerful, who is sovereign and faithful to each and every one of us sitting there with me, for hours on end, as I poured out my heart, and listened to His! It was a truly deep knowing and sharing that has no comparison on this earth. I want to live in that place. God does have plans for me right now and other things that I need to do in order to follow Him, but that intimacy can be an every day thing. Maybe not all day every day, but He is always waiting for us.



The LORD has appeared of old to me, saying:“ Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you. Jeremiah 31:3

With my soul I have desired You in the night, Yes, by my spirit within me I will seek You early; For when Your judgments are in the earth, The inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness. Isaiah 26:9

For this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sin. 1 John 4:10

You will show me the path of life: in your presence is fullness of joy; at your right hand there are pleasures for ever more. Psalm 16:11

You have made known to me the ways of life; you shall make me full of joy with your countenance. Acts 2:28

No comments:

Post a Comment