Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Come, Holy Spirit, Come

I just moved into my new room here at school, and I feel as though the Lord has blessed me with a single this year for a reason. Earlier this summer, I had a dream in which representations of the Holy Spirit, God the Father, and Jesus were clearing out my room for me. When they were done, Jesus put a "welcome" sign on the door, and they sat and waited for me on my bed. Since then I have felt a deeper intimacy with the Lord than ever before.

I was praying through my room as I unpacked and got situated, and was desperately crying out for the Holy Spirit's presence. I want people to come into this room and feel a connection to God, even if they don't recognize it. I want people to feel Christ's love, I want to feel it myself - I want to be overwhelmed by the Lord in this space and in my life. Over and over, I was repeating, "Come Holy Spirit, Come; Come, Holy Spirit, Come" and then I was drawn to my knees and found myself in tears, so completely aware of God's love for us and how terribly I need a Savior. It was then that I knew my cries had been heard. I walked in here again, and felt that pursuit that can only be Jesus Christ.

The Lord wants to be near to us, and that's why Jesus came. And when Jesus left, that's why He left us with the Holy Spirit - that we might experience His presence constantly. He loves when we ask for more of Him; the Lord delights in drawing near to us.

On my wall, I posted a sign that reads, "Why yes, the Holy Spirit does live here" It will remind me of God's presence, and will let guests know Who's in control here. And if nothing else, it will certainly be an interesting conversation piece.

Come, Holy Spirit, Come.



By the power of Jesus' sacrifice, we have the privilege of experiencing the presence of God on earth in the Holy Spirit. What a gift!

"Before we can ask David what it was like to slay the giant, to win the battles, he'll say, 'Tell me what it was like on earth to have the Holy Spirit living inside of you, giving you strength when you are weak'. We might say to Elijah, "What was it like to call down fire from heaven before the prophets of Baal and to raise that boy from the dead?' And I think Elijah might say, 'Yeah, he actually ended up dying again. You tell me what it's like to have God living inside of you. What was it like to live life on earth with the Holy Spirit giving you joy when you're depressed or giving you the power to overcome that sin in your life?' We might say to Moses, 'What was it like to follow the cloud by day and the fire by night? What was it like to meet with God on that mountain?' And Moses might say, 'I had to climb that mountain to meet with God. You tell me what it was like to have him dwell within you every day. What was it like to have the Holy Spirit giving you directions when you don't know what to do or where to go?'"
Kyle Idleman

Seek, inquire for, and require the Lord while He may be found [claiming Him by necessity and by right]; call upon Him while He is near. Isaiah 55:6

And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. John 14:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment