Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hey Kate, I'm Praying For You

I'll give a little background here.

Beloit College is not the easiest place to be a Christian, but it's by no means the most difficult either (Belarus has us beat by a light year!). But yes, being a practicing Christian puts me in a minority. So it was no surprise to find myself the only Christian in my Religious Diversities and Marital Practice course this semester.

I was respected in the class and allowed, and even felt encouraged, to share my opinion. It ended up being one of my favorite courses thus far at Beloit. Well, for our final project, we're doing a museum exhibit on different issues in marriage and partnering.

The names of the exhibits are as follow: "Superfluous Women", "Portrayal of Romance Through the Ages of Cinema", "Shacking Up", "Christ-Centered Marriage", "Equal Sex: The Way One Revolution Sparked Another", "Transgendered Living", "The Rise of 'F-Buddies'", "Stay in the Kitchen, It’s a Man’s World, Buy One Get One Half Off: Classic Ads Enforcing Marriage Roles", "Celebrating Marriage: A View into Cultural Traditions", "A Case for Many Loves: Exploring Polyamory in a Monogamous World", "Complexities of Love". If I need to tell you which one is mine, you should really go back and read more of this blog.

Anyway, our professor sent out a mass email to faculty inviting them to our showing. This morning, I received this email in my box:

Kate:
I gather by your topic title that you are in favor of a “Christ-centered marriage.” Wow, talk about a voice crying the wilderness. I’ll remember to be praying for you as you let your light “so shine.”

Wow! I mean, I don't have any idea who this staff member is; though I have a vague name recognition. I doubt we've ever met. I don't know him, but he's praying for me. And he wanted to let me know that. I just wanted to scream GOD IS GOOD! This helps me remember I'm not alone here. The Lord has provided everything I need and could ever hope for. And it also affirms me that I'm not insane. I just love Jesus. And apparently, this man does too.

Here, at Beloit, this was a great thing. God is here and He's moving and working on this campus. And I know the best is yet to come. When He says Lord of all lords, He means it. He is the King of everyone; there is none like Him.



Thank You, Lord, for Your faithfulness and the ways You provide. Thank You for these great things and the greater things still to come. Amen

Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. John 14:12

1 comment:

  1. A little followup: the presentation went a hundred times better than I'd ever imagined!

    ReplyDelete