Sunday, November 21, 2010

Touched By A Child's Heart

I teach Sunday school for a small group of 5-7 year olds, who never cease to amaze me. God has blessed me so dearly through them; I'm overwhelmed. Sometimes as a teacher to such young (and hyper) students, I wonder if they're really 'getting it', and God has shown me time and time again that He is indeed revealing Himself to them.

Today, naturally, the focus was on Thanksgiving. I handed out tiny bags with 5 individual corn kernels in them. The kernels represent the meager meals the pilgrims had their first winter in America. The activity was pretty basic - name five things you're thankful for. Many of the answers were standard: delicious food, pets, friends, families, me, our class. All wonderful blessings indeed!

But one girl's answer was just so simple and pure; I just melted.

1. God always protects us.
2. God gives us everything we need.
3. God made a beautiful world for us.
4. God gave us Jesus.
5. God always loves us.
6. God makes sure we're safe.
7. God made all of us special.

She then pauses, and asks how many that was. I tell her it was more than five.
She says, "Um, Miss Kate, don't you think God loves us way more than five things?"
I told her, "Yes, McKenna. He does. In fact, He loves us so much that we could sit here for a very long time and still not be able to count them all"
She told me, "Well I'm going to keep thinking about it every day"
And I said, "That's a really great idea"

Count your blessings, no matter where you are. And thank the One who blessed you.



God, I thank You so much for every aspect and detail of my life. You are my Lord, Maker, Creator, Redeemer, Friend. Thank You for Jesus Christ on the cross, for it is through Him I have access to You. Thank You for His resurrection, for showing me You are bigger than anything I know, and always always always victorious. I thank You for Your love and faithfulness. Thank You. Amen.

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is Yours. Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom; You are exalted as head over all. Wealth and honor come from You; You are the ruler of all things.In Your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. Now, our God, we give You thanks, and praise Your glorious name. 1 Chronicles 29:11-13

1 comment: