Thursday, December 31, 2015

Checking in on these goals

It's New Year's Eve and for the second year in a row, that means I'm flying back to Seattle tonight. 

For fun, let's check in with those goals I set last year: 

Goals: 

1. Change your mind reading plan, writing a haiku for each book, alternating between Old and New Testament (Genesis, Matthew, Exodus, Mark, etc.) [this will probably take more than a year. I have no idea] 

I've stuck with this one! I am more than halfway done, currently in Ecclesiastes. My haiku are going great and it's been such a rich journey that I can't wait to continue! 

2. Watch t.v./movie only one day per week, and no more than two consecutive episodes 

Ok. I did really awesome with this for several months. And then. Roommates. I don't know - we just like hanging out and the tv is on and it's hard ok? So You Think You Can Dance had a new season.  And Elizabeth got me onto Parks and Rec and if it hadn't all gone to hell before that, it was definitely game over by then. 

3. Go out for a treat/meal/coffee 1-2 times per week MAX (excluding Bible study @Zoka). 

Some weeks were better than others, but I was definitely at least more aware. 

4. January with no refined sugar, February with no sugar (besides fruit) 

100% success. 

All in all, not too shabby. 

I really only have one goal for 2016, and I wrote about it yesterday: one full day completely off every month. It's worth a shot, right? 

This year was really all over the map and although it had a lot of ugly and hard, I can't say I would change it. I really believe in the God who works everything for the good of those who love Him, the God who has made everything beautiful in its time, and the God who is making all things new. The lines really have fallen for me in pleasant places. 


The biggest change this year is my yoga practice, and how it replaced my obsessive cycling/trx/circuit training/running habit. When I look back at the first half of the year, I barely recognize myself. It's almost scary to look at her. I had roommates and dear friends and mentors begging me to slow down. There are flash memories in my head where I knew I was slowly killing myself but I couldn't make myself stop. I am so thankful to everyone who never gave up on me. 

Last night I wrote in my journal, 

"I am so thankful for how my year is ending compared to how it began. Yoga really has been such an enormous catalyst for God's grace and healing" 

I also wrote down some words for the year 

Mercy 
Healing 
Restoration 
Recovery 
Freedom 
Wonder 
Gratitude 
Discovery 
Growth 
Rescue 
Full 
Wholeness 
Exploration 
Peace
Satisfied 

 God used the physical practice of yoga to help me feel redemption all the way in my bones. 

"Moving into this space of embracing our bodies, of living as if they matter, of choosing to feel the anxiety of listening to our emotions, needs and desires as they come to us in physical form requires risk. It's a kind of sacrifice to step into this place, and act of trust that God may, indeed, be interested not in controlling us, but in redeeming us - all of us"
 Tara Owens, Embracing the Body 

And now, my song of the year, that so beautifully expresses my gratitude towards the God of grace 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fkK01FsfK74

Happy New Year, everyone! 



2 comments:

  1. Parks and Rec doesn't really count. It's basically an educational documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete