Wednesday, December 30, 2015

15 in 15

I've been able to read and learn from a number of really wonderful books this year. Here are the 15 that made the biggest mark on me this year 

1. Embracing the Body by Tara Owens. If I could only pick one book for the year, this would be it. It's about the redemption of our physical bodies, the absence of shame, and how the physical meets the spiritual. It met me when I was just learning to appreciate my body again and I am so grateful for Tara's message. If you want a copy of this one, message me and I will get one out to you! 

2. It's Not What You Think by Jefferspn Bethke. This is a beautiful book designed to take you past your assumptions and fears about God and into deep fellowship with the Savior of your soul. 

3. A Million Little Ways by Emily Freeman. This is an encouragement to understand your gifts and how to use them. Everyone is an artist; what is your art? 

4. Real Sex by Lauren Winner. I've read a lot of books about marriage and sex and purity, but this one truly shines. Lauren have me words to talk about why I'm a virgin and why it's really not about sex at all. I think this book is valuable for the church as we seek to build a robust theology of singleness, and also for individuals looking to add depth to their personal convictions. 

5. For the Love - Jen Hatmaker. A collection of essays ranging from hilarious to tender to serious, For the Love is no disappointment. I think everything Jen writes is pure gold, and this is no exception. I disagree with Jen on the matter of leggings as pants, but everything else is spot on.  Every time I hear garbage theology, anything related to health and wealth, I think of Jen and the single mother in Haiti. Because if your theology isn't true for the poor single mother in Haiti, it isn't true at all. 

6. The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I picked up this young adult novel from a free little library. I loved it. Times a million. "Pain demands to be felt". See the movie if you hate reading, but both are worth your time. 

7. Coming Clean by Seth Haines. Haines using this book to document his journey towards sobriety. Although I don't know what it's like to have an alcohol or drug problem, I found myself really relating to his story. Sobriety doesn't have to just be about alcohol - it's about living fully awake to reality. 

8. Two Lifestyles, One Lifetime by Les Leventhal. Leventhal lived a wild life until he found yoga and it turned his world upside down. I'm including the book on this list because it has one of my favorite quotes of the entire year -

"The experience you're having inside your  body right now - do you want that? Are you grateful for that? So you've got tight hamstrings; can you be grateful that you have hamstrings at all? Grateful you have legs? Grateful that you even have legs?...When you see people around the room taking challenging variations, can you look at that person and think, thank you? Thank you for expressing yourself. Thank you for showing me something beautiful". 

9. Simply Tuesday by Emily Freeman. This book was released the same day as For the Love. I really enjoy Emily's style, which is why she has two books on my list this year. Simply Tuesday encourages us to embrace the ordinary without trying to make it into something it's not. 

10. Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist. Here's another breath of fresh air for all who need one, and in this day and age, who doesn't need one. If you read Simply Tuesday and crave more, Shauna will have you covered. 

11. Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering by Tim Keller. I found this book when it felt like a hundred things were falling apart. It helped me personally and it helped me love and encourage others better. God has never left you; light always shines in the darkness. 

12. Hollow by Jena Morrow. A tale of eating disorder recovery that's actually helpful. Jena's story is so encouraging no matter what stage you're at with ED. 

13. Hellbent by Benjamin Lorr. This is a fascinating account of bikram yoga. I read it as I was just getting into my practice, and it gave me just enough curiousity to try a bikram class for myself. It's a fun read for anyone with any type of practice though. 

14. Then Sings my Soul by Robert Morgan. This is a collection of hymns with their back stories. I love learning what brought people to pen beautiful songs of worship that have stood the test of time. 

15. Luke. I've been reading through each book of the Bible 20 times in a row. I'm currently in Ecclesiastes. But Luke was my favorite of the year. I loved the detail given to Jesus' birth and ministry. I was so drawn into the presence of God in this book and can't recommend careful reading of this gospel enough. 

Here's to a new year and new books! Recommendations always welcome (especially for quality novels. Fiction is hard for me). 


No comments:

Post a Comment