Sunday, January 3, 2016

Peace and Joy and Snow

In Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering, Tim Keller wrote, 

Peace is the disciplined thinking out of the implications of what you believe

In darkness, I was struck by that. When things are bad, what does it mean to believe that God is good? 

Today, in the light, I'm struck by it in a different way. 

I live in Seattle. It rains a lot. I have been told that it also "usually" snows here, but it has done so about once a year since I've been here so I do not really believe that. 

But today, I sat eating an orange blossom donut  and looked out the window, and there were snow flakes. Big ones. And people started pointing out the window and running outside and laughing and smiling and taking pictures and in a word, there was joy. I started singing softly, to myself,  

Here is love, vast as the ocean 
Lovingkindness as the flood 

I believe in a God who created. I believe in a God who made everything, including the snow that falls. I believe that everything God made is meant to show me something about Him. Snow is for beauty and for joy and for seasons and for change and for transformation, and that's how snow shows the love of God to the world He has made. 

Today, this is my peace: that today, God let it snow and that is part of His great love and gift to us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment