Saturday, March 7, 2015

He is Risen, Indeed!

I don't even know where to start this inevitably disjointed post about how beautiful God is to me. Maybe it's the Seattle sun, but I am soaking up so much of His presence that I'm trying to bottle it for rainy days. Today I was wearing shorts (!!!) and walking when I saw the mountains.

Those mountains.

They get me. Every time.

I was listening to another Getty song - Christ is Risen, He is Risen Indeed - and looking out at the sky, it was like the world was saying, "He is risen indeed! New life is here!" And I know we're still in Lent to remember and repent but maybe God's just reminding me that we can mourn our sin and come forth in repentance because of the life that's already ours in Christ. He is risen indeed.

I was outside at starbucks reading Numbers and Willing to Be Forgotten and as an older woman sitting near me was leaving, she came over, tapped my Bible and said, "Awesome. Awesome" as she smiled, nodded and walked away. I don't know why, but it brought me such joy; it was so encouraging. It's amazing how unifying the gospel can be, that two strangers can be sisters. I prayed for her today, thanked God for her, because she's got the Light of Life and she's clearly not afraid to let Him shine.

And tonight, singing. Singing in my room, whatever song came next. Thinking about how inadequate my praise is, how words fall short of describing the glory of God. Thinking of this "poor lisping stammering tongue", and how when it "lies stammering in the grave/Then with a nobler, sweeter song/I'll sing Thy power to save". Thankful that "when in scenes of glory/I sing the new, new song/Twill be the old, old story/That I have loved so long". Longing for "that day when free from sinning/I shall see Thy lovely face/Clothed then in blood washed linen/I'll sing Thy sovereign grace".

I recently (after what, 2 years of loving pieces of this Psalm) memorized this, connecting the dots between verses 1&2, 6 , and 11. I say it to myself often.

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the LORD, you are my lord: I have no good apart from you. As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones in whom is all my delight. The sorrows of those who run after another God shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out, or take their names on my lips. The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the LORD who gives me counsel, in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Psalm 16

Christ is risen

He is risen, indeed

No comments:

Post a Comment