Friday, March 13, 2015

Give me today my daily bread.

This morning at my first hot power yoga class, I set my intention as "Give me today my daily bread. Sustain me, Lord Jesus". After class, I saw a beautiful sunrise and saw how God has provided bountifully - not to mention the crisp mountain view I got on my bike ride in. Jesus really did sustain me today, and my pre k teaching went great. Praise Him!

At home, I got the chance to dig into John (I finished Numbers this morning. Haiku: Following the Lord/Is what's best for His people/Trust Him. He is good.)

John 6 has got to be one of the most defining chapters in the gospels, if not the Bible. I don't know if it's because bread is delicious or I love food writing or my baking habit, but I love when Jesus talks about the bread of life.

For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. They said to him, Sir, give us this bread always. Jesus said to them, I am the bread of life, whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst...I am the bread of life. John 6:33-35, 48

When we ask for daily bread, we're asking for enough grace, for enough of the presence of God, for the Spirit without measure, to sustain us for our day. To satisfy. To provide. To give endurance.

It's a beautiful thing, asking to be nourished by the one who can never perish. Being a weird vegan, I think a lot about what foods give the most energy and fill my needs. But Jesus is the food that gives eternal life. He is the best nourishment our souls could ever find.





No comments:

Post a Comment