Sunday, November 23, 2014

Philippians 2 when I don't feel like it

Sleepover, easy on the sleep 

Shower water that would not get warm 

Sunday school with crazy kids 

Turn signals optional traffic 

Bad timing at veggie grill 

Trip to the airport 

Exhaustion. Irritation. Frustration. 

Wondering why Phillippians 2 made it into the canon. Why I remember "consider others more significant than yourselves". Why those verses when I don't want to do anything besides crawl in my bed and hide. 

I collect reasons to be upset. I hold on to them. And there's still Philippians 2. It's still there. Jesus was God but did not count equality with God as a thing to be grasped, but made himself lower than a servant. 

Jesus is there, reminding me that I will never measure up. I cannot collect enough hurts to touch even one of His. I cannot out grace Jesus. 

But I can have His grace. I can have Him. 

And sometimes it takes a 5-hour nap and a sermon at eleven o clock at night to get there, but I'm starting to release that selfishness, that conceit. And tomorrow I may have to start over and remember that Jesus came not to be served but to serve others and that I'm supposed to be last, but tonight, I see Him. 

And I will see Him again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment