Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Remember Jesus, who upholds the universe by the word of His power

he upholds the universe by the word of his power  from Hebrews 1:3 

I told Elizabeth last night that I keep getting more excited about each day's prompt. I'm also glad I mapped out the series ahead of time because otherwise I think I could have gotten pretty random.

When it comes to remembering Jesus as the upholder of the universe, I find there is plenty of precedence for this statement. In the beginning, God spoke the world into being. He spoke through Moses to lead His people out of slavery, and gave them the commandments. He spoke to His servant Job as He permitted his trials. He told Hosea to love an adulterous woman as He loves the children of Israel. He told Jonah to go to Nineveh and preach the gospel of repentance. He sent an angel to tell Mary she would give birth to His Son. He spoke at Christ's baptism, declaring for the world that Jesus is His Son. Jesus calmed a storm, made a blind man see, healed the lame, and raised Lazarus from the dead.

There are more examples, of course, but the point is that God's word is powerful. But even as we acknowledge the power in God's word, it's hard to remember that Jesus is the King of everything, working for us right now, and that His kingdom is one that cannot be shaken -

Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe Hebrews 12:28 

What Jesus has provided, none can take away -

 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. John 14:27 

When it doesn't look like Jesus is the King, let us remember that Jesus is at work, right now, and that His word is enough to make all darkness tremble at His feet.

So what does that mean for you and for me, today? Jesus "always lives to make intercession for" us (Hebrews 7:25). Not only does Jesus uphold the universe, dear Christian, but if you are in Jesus, He upholds you by His word. No matter what trial or temptation you find yourself in, Jesus is holding you steady.

Remember Jesus, who keeps you.

No comments:

Post a Comment