Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Remember Jesus, who died to destroy the devil and his power of death

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the on who as the power of death, that is, the devil  Hebrews 2:14

Remember, God actually created the world without death. It wasn't part of Eden. There was only life, abundant life. Until the serpent. And the fruit. And the first parents.

The perfect world was fractured, and Satan himself became the fallen prince. Fallen from heaven (Isaiah 14), prince of the fallen world (Ephesians 2). And we saw the first murder (Genesis 4; Cain kills Abel). But it wasn't the last, and it certainly wasn't the last heard, dead heart. In fact, even as Messiah walked the earth, stony hearts blinded Pharisees and skeptics alike.

But Jesus claimed those hearts. He died for them. And when Jesus says you're alive, you're as alive as you could possibly be. On earth, He raised the physically dead to life, and in heaven, He continues to resurrect those suffering from deadness of the heart.

Satan, on the other hand, hates you and wants you to die.
But Jesus loves you and died so you could live.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John10:10 

If Jesus can give the dead life again, then the one with the power of death must not be so powerful after all.

I think the first question and answer of the Heidelberg Catechism will close us out nicely for today.


Q. What is your only comfort in life and in death?
A. That I am not my own,1 but belong—body and soul, in life and in death2—to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ.3

He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood,4 and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil.5 He also watches over me in such a way6 that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven;7 in fact, all things must work together for my salvation.8
Because I belong to him, Christ, by his Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life9 and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.10

1 1 Cor. 6:19-20
2 Rom. 14:7-9
3 1 Cor. 3:23; Titus 2:14
4 1 Pet. 1:18-19; 1 John 1:7-9; 2:2
5 John 8:34-36; Heb. 2:14-15; 1 John 3:1-11
6 John 6:39-40; 10:27-30; 2 Thess. 3:3; 1 Pet. 1:5
7 Matt. 10:29-31; Luke 21:16-18
8 Rom. 8:28
9 Rom. 8:15-16; 2 Cor. 1:21-22; 5:5; Eph. 1:13-14
10 Rom. 8:1-17

No comments:

Post a Comment