Sunday, October 12, 2014

Remember Jesus, who stays the same

And you laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; they will perish, but you remin: they will all wear out like a garment, like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will have no end. 
Hebrews 1:10-12 

Elsewhere, the writer to the Hebrews says it like this:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever(13:8). 

That Jesus is constant is not a truth to be taken for granted. Having a God who is not fickle, who always keeps covenant, who always pursues, who never leaves nor forsake, this is what keeps rebel hearts coming back. This is what makes the dead come alive and helps us walk in a manner worthy of the good news to which we have been called.

Perhaps you remember this parable that Jesus told us -

Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it founded on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Jesus is the rock on which we build our secure, everlasting foundation. We can chase a lot of things, but if they're not of Him, they're temporary, and even as we consume them, they are actually consuming us.

So I became great and surpassed all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me. And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I kept my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil. Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after the wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. Ecclesiastes 2:9-11

If we pursue things that aren't from Jesus, we will be disappointed. Things of this world fade and change - from material goods to values and reputations. But if we pursue Jesus, we are putting our hope in that which is constant and eternal. He will never fail us because He never changes, expect perhaps in our own eyes. The longer we love Him, the more lovelier He is to us. We can hope for the day when we will see Him as He is, and has always been.

I will leave us with a few hymns today that speak of this constancy. These songs were written over a hundred years ago, and because Jesus doesn't change, their words of praise are still just as true today.
I typed out the first verse, and if you click on it, it will take you to the full song.

It is Well
When peace like a river, attendeth my way 
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, 
It is well, it is well, with my soul 

Solid Rock
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' name 

On Christ the solid rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand

How Firm a Foundation
How firm a foundation ye saints of the Lord
Is laid for your faith in His excellent word
What more can He say than to you He hath said 
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. So thankful that God stays the same through the craziness of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hymns though we don't sing them in my church! I love our praise and worship songs but often sing the hymns in my car. Great is Thy Faithfulness is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! My church primarily sings hymns but with a twist. Like Great is Thy Faithfulness to a ukelele or What Wondrous Love is This with a gameboy backing track. We love the words, and celebrate creativity in worship arts.

    ReplyDelete