Thursday, October 23, 2014

Remember Jesus, who helps us

For surely it is not the angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. Hebrews 2:16

Jesus helped us infinitely by dying on the cross to make us right with God. But that wasn't the end of His help for us. He "ever lives to make intercession for us" (Hebrews 7:25). He promises, "I am with you always, to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20). He is "a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1), who "will not leave us as orphans" (John 14:18). 

I recently read Ordinary by Michael Horton, which is a little bit of a pushback on Radical by David Platt. Now, I loved Radical. I was seriously convicted by it. I love how many people have been challenged to support and/or pursue missions because of it. But what I got from Horton rounded things out. Because it's not about doing something big for God or being content in the every day; it's about accepting everything God has for you with open, empty hands. 

I think we have this tendency to believe Jesus helps the missionary in the Middle East and the underground pastor in China and the nonprofit worker in Kenya, but to distrust Him as our help for our day to day lives. They ask for His help because they need it and they're important. Would He really help me today, here?  

But I have to wonder if we don't ask Jesus for help in the ordinary because we don't think we need it, or, perhaps worse, we don't actually want it. 

What if Jesus helped you serve the homeless in your city or neighborhood? 

What if Jesus helped you apologize? 

What if Jesus helped you be kind and understanding and gracious to your boss/coworker/spouse/roommate? 

What if Jesus helped you overcome sloth/lust/pride/greed/idolatry? 

What if Jesus helped you find real peace and true rest in Him? 

Jesus is indeed the help to all who call on His name. No matter who or where you are, Jesus will be helping you become more like Him, 

So that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. Ephesians 5:27 

You are part of the church, and the church is not about you. It's about Jesus, and the enormous help He extends to each one of us. 

God is my shepherd 
And I am his little lamb 

He feeds me
He guides me 
He looks after me
I have everything I need 


Inside, my heart is very quiet, 
As quiet as lying still in soft green grass
In a meadow
By a little stream 

Even when I walk through 
The dark, scary, lonely places
I won't be afraid 
Because my Shepherd knows where I am 

He is here with me
He keeps me safe 
He rescues me 

He makes me strong 
And brave 

He is getting wonderful things ready for me
Especially for me. 
Everything I ever dreamed of! 

He fills my heart to full of happiness
I can't hold it all inside. 

Wherever I go I know 
God's Never Stopping
Never Giving Up 
Unbreaking 
Always and Forever 
Love 
Will go, too. 

Psalm 23 - Jesus Storybook Bible 

I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me; just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. John 10:14-15. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh my, you have touched my heart. You are right. I am poor and needy. God is my helper...Psalm 40
    Thank you and bless you with GREAT JOY in JESUS on your amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete