Friday, May 16, 2014

Beyond expectations

My meeting lasted less than 20 minutes. Once my boss listened to me, she gave me her full support. I was shocke and relieved. 

It's amazing how God has this tendency of doing so much more than what we expect or hope for. In fact, that's what he's in the business of doing. The most faithful men and women of the Old Testament expected their God to save them by the messiah. I don't think they could have dreamed that he himself would come down, walk among his people, die for their sins, and raise from the dead, thus securing eternal life for all who call on his name. 

The unexpected life is the life I'm trying to embrace, because it's the life God keeps giving me, and it always turns out so beautifully. 

Kristen Welch wrote a book about the unexpected life Jesus is working in her, and though my kindle tells me I'm only 34% finished with it, I love it. It's had me crying in public again. Her message is simple: Say yes to God. Follow where he leads. Love him first, others second, and yourself third. 

Simple, and simply radical. 

Quotes from Rhinestone Jesus: 

"Where you're living today is the place where God has put you" 

"Your sweet spot isn't some elusive mystery that God dangles over your head just beyond your grasp. It's the collision of believing in who you are and acting on it because of whom you belong to" 

"You don't have to figure out what so surrender your heart to. Surrender your heart to Jesus. Every single ounce of it. Ask Him to give you a love for Him that surpasses anything in your human experience, a supernatural capacity. Ask Him for it every day until He does it, and then ask Him to do it some more" 

"Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for Him" 

If you love Ann Voskamp and Jen Htmaker's style/soul/etc you will love Kristen Welch. 

The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places. Indeed I have a beautiful inheritance. Psalm 16:6 

No comments:

Post a Comment