Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Learning Things

Today, I did not go to class. Besides the fact that I don't actually need to, I didn't want to so that settled it. I did write my last undergrad paper, though.

No, this post is about a different kind of learning.

This semester, I've been an official rotating member of the church worship team, and it has been the craziest, most challenging learning experience I've had in music in a long time. My worship pastor is 59, and has been leading worship almost twice as long as I have been alive. He really loves the Lord and understands what worship is, and is also highly gifted as both a leader and a musician (he doesn't even play my instrument, but he knows enough about music to make it all work). He writes his own music, and is always pushing us to be creative and do something new.

I really appreciate him as a teacher and a mentor; he's worked with me to be a better musician and a better worship leader. At first, I would get frustrated when he'd look at me and ask what key would be better or if the tempo was ok. I thought he was vastly overestimating my skill level and knowledge. As I reflected on it tonight (my last rehearsal with Pastor Tom!) I realized that he had a lot more confidence in me than I did, and that's what he was trying to pull out.

I have been so blessed to be able to learn from him and I hope that I can continue to grow in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment