Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sovereignty and Sickness

I had every intention of going to church this morning. My dad dropped me off and I walked him out, and went upstairs to get ready. I was feeling ill, but I really wanted to go anyway. Since my usual ride was still home for Thanksgiving, I had arranged for my pastor's wife to come pick me up right before the service. However, by the time she arrived, I was feeling so awful I could barely stay standing. I had a splitting headache, fever, and sore throat yesterday, and though the fever had gone and the sore throat had lessened, the headache had actually gotten worse. My body is so fatigued right now, and no matter what I take, I can't get any relief from this headache. It hurts all the way around my entire head, down through my neck and shoulders.

I really hate being sick. I protest with every fiber of my being. It takes a lot for me to admit it. But right now, I've surrendered. I told my pastor's wife I was sorry she had driven out of the way, but I really needed to go back to bed. I changed out of my dress and tights and threw on soft leggings, fuzzy socks, and a giant sweater. I crawled into bed and put a sermon on that I'd downloaded from the internet. And do you know what, as I write this as church is getting out, I'm really glad I didn't go. My body needed this. I firmly believe that if it was in God's will for me to be well, I would be. But since I'm not, there's a reason He wanted me to stay home and just be, today. There is work the Spirit needs to do in my body that involves me taking it easy for the time being.

Jesus shows His love for me daily, by providing exactly what I need. He conquers my flesh and gets me to be quiet and listen to Him.





Lord, how blessed I am to have a Savior who delights in me, who daily takes my filth and washes me in His blood. I love You, forever and always.


For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
“ Who committed no sin,
Nor was deceit found in His mouth”;
who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls. 1 Peter 1:21-25

The LORD your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment