Saturday, January 9, 2016

1 year

Today marks one year since I took my first yoga class. It started as a last-ditch effort for some severe back pain (I hate going to the doctor). I really did have a hard time at first with the spirituality; I was a Christian yoga skeptic for sure. But it helped me meet Jesus in ways I never expected.

And to be honest, a big reason I started taking class and then classes was so that I could exercise more. It wasn't until I stopped cycling and trx and boot camps, and started doing yoga exclusively that there was a real shift in my mental and physical health. I don't take class every day, or even multiple times a day because I feel like I have to anymore. I'm not trying to be thin or whatever anymore. I just like moving. I like being in my body. I like connecting with the God who breathed life into my body, who knitted me together in my mother's womb, who is bringing me towards full redemption. I like discovering something new. I like feeling strong.

And I am really looking forward to watching my practice unfold. A lot of people at the studio and online tell me they're inspired by me. And I get it - I can do some really cool things. But I'm less inspired by "advanced" poses and practices than I am by the people who have been faithfully showing up for years, people who have been practicing longer than I've been alive. I think that's amazing, and while there are definitely postures I want to be able to do, that's not what I'm most excited about. I'm most excited about the journey. My dream is to be a cute little old yoga lady. And if I'm 75 and can still handstand, even better! 

1 comment:

  1. I want to be a little old yoga lady too! To keep us in shape to Win polr vault at the senior olympics obviously

    ReplyDelete