Saturday, January 30, 2016

Grounded

Last Sunday, I again had the privilege of teaching the Anchor Church kids. What can I say - I just love the littles. Spending time with children brings such a pure and grounded joy to my heart; it's no wonder I often do so every day of the week. Our kids ministry leader told me I could design a lesson on my favorite story from the Jesus Storybook Bible. I love so many of the stories in there - the way they do the prodigal son is amazing, and Leah and Rebekah's tale makes me cry every time. Every Old Testament story is a favorite of mine because of how clearly the gospel is illustrated in this lovely children's book.

I ended up choosing the Psalms because I relish every opportunity to teach the kids about prayer and worship. Praying psalms that I've memorized is one of the fastest ways to draw me into the peace of Christ in a chaotic world. I can't tell you how many times I've driven my car to the soundtrack of psalm 23. Psalms 16 and 139 are other favorites of mine to recite to ground down. William Wilberforce, one of my heroes, used to recite Psalm 119 on his way to parliament every day. Maybe I'll memorize that one day, but it's a long one :)

Praying the psalms is an important practice to me and I was thankful this week for the opportunity to share that with the church family kids and give myself the reminder and encouragement to press in.

No comments:

Post a Comment