Friday, September 4, 2015

You're an artist; what's your art?

Emily Freeman is a beautiful writer. Her book Simply Tuesday was beautiful in stilling my soul breathing encouragement into my ordinary moments. One of her older books, A Million Little Ways, went on sale on amazon, so I grabbed it. It too, was a beauty. It's about the art that is in all of us, no matter what we do or who we do it with it. It's been inspiring me all week. Here are some quotes

Cashiers and cellists are capable of making art because they both have the power to influence, to be fully awake to their Maker and fully aware of his making of them. I can't imagine anything more dangerous to the enemy of our hearts than people who know who they are. 

You were made to live art 

It's time to live as though we believe we have something to offer 

Being an artist has something to do with being brave enough to move toward what makes you come alive 

The first thing we know about God is he made art. What is the first thing we know about people? We were made in the image of God. 

God calls you his workmanship, his poiema (greek for workmanship, poem, craft). What happens when God writes poetry? We do. We happen. 

The art you and I were born to make is released out of the core of who we truly are, where our spirit is joined in union with the Spirit of God. Any movement coming from that place reflects the glory of God. This is our highest purpose, and ultimately, our greatest joy. 

You are designed to reflect the glory of God, and when you release the fullness of who you most deeply are, we will see God because we're finally seeing you. Uncovering your art is about waking up. 

I don't believe there is one great thing I was made to do in this world. I believe there is one great God I was made to glorify. And there will be many way, even a million little ways, I will declare his glory with my life. 

You are art and you make art, but you are not your art. You are God's art. 

You are the beloved. So take some time to be the loved. 

The world needs you to come alive right where you are and not where you wish you were. 

We have the capacity to reflect the relational glory of God no matter who we're with, what we're doing, or what' gone wrong. This is when art is a verb rather a noun. It isn't something you point to, it's a way you live. 

I think perhaps everyone has crazy ideas but most people are afraid to consider thme. There are a rare few who pursue them, but they wouldn't realize it, because to them, they aren't crazy ideas. They're just ideas. 

Your greatest purpose is to reveal his glory and your greatest grief is to violate his love. 

Being who you already are no matter the circumstance of your life is what it means to release the art you were made to live. 

Take small steps toward the mystery. You aren't moving to figure things out or to catch up to an expectation, but you are moving because you are alive. You have a glimpse of what it might feel like to live life as an artist in the middle of your ordinary day. 

Eternity is not for later. 

God moves through nature - and souls - like a whisper on water and he cannot be held back. Life shoots up straight out of death and no one can make it stop. An artist lives in the midst of this wonder, breathes it in, moves around in it, uncovers her unique contribution to it, and offers it back up to God. 

Dare to get a sense of yourself in the world as you live and breathe and are. 

Last words from my journal:

Lately, there is a deeply rooted sense of gratitude in my heart. I can, when I prompt myself, name the specific gifts. But is it necessary? I love naming gifts, but what if the naming is just to cultivate the lifestyle? How can I act more consistently from these roots? 

No comments:

Post a Comment