Friday, August 29, 2014

A Jim Elliot Poem

If you only read one Christian's diaries, choose Jim Elliot's. Scripture, prayer, struggles with sin, finding God's will, dating/marriage, missions, college, ministry, family - it's all there. 

Even though I knew a lot about Jim before reading these diaries, I was pleasantly surprised with all the poetry he wrote and how good it is. Here's one of my favorites so far: 

I sent my love upon thee, child, 
I knew thee far away
I wept to see the wandering, wild
I yearned til thou didst pray. 
One of a hateful rebel band, 
Strong in thy lust for sin, 
A furtive, fitful, fiery soul, 
I loved; I called thee in, 
Snipped thee of thy grimy pride, 
Laid bare thy secret want, 
Poor vagabond of empty ways
I sent my Spirit to haunt. 
Now desert son, the choice is thine: 
My love thou canst forget
And go to roaming wasteland paths. 
Wilt, willful, wander yet? 

No comments:

Post a Comment