Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Your Treasure Will Testify

Tomorrow, I am meeting with the Anchor die hards to talk about the first six verses in the fifth chapter of James. This means that I've been stewing on it all week, reading different translations and really digging it.

At first, I didn't have that many thoughts on it.

Today, I read Young's Literal Translation, a very old very wooden word for word translation.

I saw in verse 3

the rust...for a testimony shall be to you and shall eat your flesh as fire ye made in the last days 

And in verse 5

ye did live in luxury...ye did nourish your hearts 

I wrote in my journal

This passage in James has been hammering into me how important it is for Christ to be my treasure. Like we talked about last week, have a savings account, spend time with your family, do your job well - but put all your hope in Jesus. Glory in your Redeemer, and not in the things He gives. What you hold dear is what you will have to testify for you. If you have the things of this world, they will be your advocates before a holy God, but if you have Jesus, you have the very Son to testify for you before the Father. 

Matthew 6:21 and Luke 12:34 say the same thing:

Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also 

And in case you were wondering about that whole Jesus testifying for you thing, Hebrews has the hookups

For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source. That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers, saying, "I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise" Hebrews 2:11-12

We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek. Hebrews 6:19-20 


No comments:

Post a Comment