Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Come Ye Sinners

Have you also felt the weight of this week?

I sat in awe of God's power and presence in the home of one of our pastors Sunday afternoon as a few members of my church family gathered to pray. We lost all sense of time and just poured our hearts out for our church, for the church, for those who need to remember Jesus,  for those who labor for that which does not satisfy.

And Tuesday, I ate dinner and then we shared hearts and were vulnerable and prayed honestly for one another. What a thing to share.

And then at 4:45 this morning, my friend texts me a list of the reasons she's absolutely drowning and ends with a one-word plea: help. It takes me time to open my eyes and wake up my heart to hear Jesus but I eventually give her all I have, namely, Jesus. Jesus. The Word. The Life. The Words of Life. And I knew the one-year anniversary of her deep tragedy was coming up soon, but I had no idea it would be Good Friday. And I'm thinking about this with a heaviness in my heart, because that's the day we all died.

The day when the King of everything did not look like a king at all. In fact, he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (Isaiah 53: 2b-3)

And yet he was ready. He was willing. It was the will of the Lord to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for guilt, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. (Isaiah 53: 10-11). 

I've been singing Come Ye Sinners (Sojourn version)  with all my heart this week, remembering that this is my invitation. Good Friday is coming, and it is my invitation to die to myself and to the cares of this world and to live to and for and in Jesus. It's a reminder that we live in a broken world because we broke it. And we keep breaking it. We break it a little more with our sin every day. But that is the sin for which Jesus died. And so we're invited to come to the cross, where Jesus is ready to save us to the utmost.

Come ye sinners, poor and needy
Weak and wounded, sick and sore 
Jesus ready stands to save you 
Full of pity, love and power 

Come ye thirsty, come and welcome 
God's free bounty glorify
True belief and true repentance
Every grace that brings you nigh 

Refrain:
Come ye weary, heavy laden 
Lost and ruined by the fall 
If you tarry 'til you're better 
You will never come at all 
You will never come at all 

On the bloody cross behold Him 
Sinner, will this not suffice
Lo! The incarnate God ascended 
Pleads His perfect sacrifice 

Refrain

Let not conscience make you linger
Not of fitness fondly dream 
All the fitness He requireth
Is to fill your need of Him. 


Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Isaiah 55:1-3 


No comments:

Post a Comment