Sunday, September 22, 2013

Grace Upon Grace

For from his fullness we have all received grace upon grace. John 1:16

What a verse.

The fullness of God, manifested in Jesus, who walked among us and imparted to us His Spirit, while living ever to make intercession for us. There is saving grace that brings life and the presence of God, but there are also moment by moment graces that we become aware of through that saving grace.

As I've prayed for my kids, not only have I come to dearly love them, but I have also seen the specific way each one shows me the gospel.

Jacinda will run away from whatever it is I want her to do. But I will say her name, calmly, firmly, and she looks at me and she comes. I know her name, just as God knows mine. He calls out to me when I run and that is grace.

Ella cries. She is deeply hurt, and longs to be held. When she's shrieking, I can say, "Ella. Do you need a hug?" And she wraps her tiny arms around me and calms down. This happens maybe 10 times in a 45 minute class. The Lord knows my hurt, and He bends down to me and draws me into Him. And that is grace.

Aiden is easily distracted. And forgetful. It took a few weeks, but I discovered that if I ask if he wants to hold my hand, we can walk through the obstacle course and he will do everything I ask of him. My Father takes me by the hand and leads me along the way I should go and that is grace.

Leonie plays the victim. But of course she never does anything wrong. God is there to save me from myself and my hypocrisy and that is grace.

Sophie is openly defiant. She knows what is wrong and does it anyway. See Romans 7. Paul. Sophie. Me. You. And Jesus died for that and lives for that and that is grace.

Maliyah is timid. She wants to come and partake and enjoy but she inches ever so slowly. And God says to me Come (Isaiah 55). Jesus says Come (Matthew 11, 19). The Spirit and the Church say Come (Revelation 22:17). And that is grace.

I could go on and on over my lists of kids and what they show me but look at the graces! Isn't it incredible? Parents thank me for teaching their children, but I thank them for bringing their kids to class. And sure, I complain sometimes and the kids misbehave and frustrate me but thanks be to God for continually bringing me back to Jesus and showing me His grace every time I need it.

O to grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment