Sunday, September 23, 2012

When Jonah Got Duped, Nineveh Got Grace

When I was a child, I loved the story of Jonah and the great fish. I mean, who wouldn't? A man got eaten by a fish and then the fish puked him back up. That's pretty epic. But now, I love Jonah's story because I see how it's my story. I've never been eaten by a giant fish, but I have been disobedient to God, and that's what this story is really about: disobedience, and God's sovereignty.

In the first three verses of this book, the Lord tells Jonah to go to Nineveh, and Jonah immediately flees from the presence of God. Jonah was close enough to hear God speak to him, but he didn't like what he heard, so he up and left. But as Jonah tried to escape, he got trumped by the sovereign Lord. God sent a great storm upon the sea. What I found interesting was that when Jonah is asked who he is and what he does, his answer is, "I fear and worship the Lord" (1:8-9). His identity is held within the Lord, yet he fled from his presence. He claims to worship God, but he does so only when it's convenient. I'm sure none of you are like this, but it's sure nailing me.

To continue, in verse 17, it says that the Lord prepared the great fish to swallow up Jonah. God knew. Jonah was cast out from God's presence (2:3-4). And then, what really gets interesting, is when Jonah speaks out against idolatry. Jonah loved his own comforts and his life more than serving the Lord. Yet this is what he says about those who worship idols:

Those who pay regard to false, useless, and worthless idols forsake their own [Source of] mercy and loving-kindness. 2:8

Does he even realize that's exactly what he did? He had the Lord ever before him, and didn't even want Him. 

Yet, there is repentance. He sacrifices with the voice of thanksgiving, and the Lord causes the fish to vomit him out (2:9-10). 

And after this whole debacle, God tells Jonah again, Go to Nineveh, and preach the words I tell you. And this time, Jonah gets up and goes (3:1-3). Jonah's way better than I am. It only took two prompts from the Lord. It's often taken me many more than that. In any event, Nineveh's people turn from their evil works and believe in God after no time at all, and God revokes His anger from them (3:8-10). 

Jonah loved God. Now the people of Nineveh loved God. And that made Jonah angry (4:1). As he saw it, he'd been punished by God for being disobedient, and those crummy Ninevehans had their sentence revoked with no consequence. 

I think this is perfect illustration of legalism vs grace. Legalism tells us that if we are good enough, if we just praise God and follow His statutes, we will escape judgment and wrath. Grace tells us that Jesus was good enough for us. He overcame our wickedness. He took the wrath of God so that we wouldn't know it. When our lives are hidden within the lives of Christ, we no longer have to struggle to do the right things in order to be free. No, it is that very freedom of the Holy Spirit that propels us towards the righteousness of following the Lord. 

1 comment: