Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Spiritual Things

Every day I see more clearly the unity between the covenant God made with Israel and the one that was sealed with the blood of Jesus. It's just absolutely incredible to read about promises and desires in the Old Testament and see them answered in the New.

And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. Psalm 55:6

Scripturally, the dove is very significant. It is a dove that descends down upon Jesus at His baptism (Matthew 3:16, and a dove that flies to Noah after the flood (Genesis 8). This dove is a symbol of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is the Lord's constant presence here on earth. It lives inside each one of us. In the beginning, God created Adam and Eve so that He might have a relationship with them. But when they sinned, they were distanced. Throughout OT times, the people were working to rebuild a relationship with their Maker. But after much failure and heartache, God knew something else had to be done. So He Himself came down in Jesus. He taught, He healed, He showed us the glory of who He is. Christ lived a sinless life and died that we may enjoy the same relation to the Father He had. He rose again, showing how powerful the Lord is; He is higher than death, victorious over all sin, and He reigns today.

Before He died, Jesus told His followers that He wasn't abandoning them. He said He was leaving them with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit would guide them and give them the peace and rest that they needed.

I really wanted to dig into this verse because the Lord's presence is where we find that peace, that comfort. In Jesus' sacrifice, we do have wings like doves; the Holy Spirit is what takes us closer to God.



"God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing" C.S. Lewis

I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. John 14:18

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:26-27

No comments:

Post a Comment