Monday, November 16, 2015

The Kingdom is Yours and the Power is Yours and the Glory Forever, Amen

This morning I was praying for a friend of mine, for life - abundant life - for salvation, for joy. As I closed my journal, I listened to As it is in Heaven by Matt Maher. It's essentially an interpretation of the Lord's prayer set to music

I was thinking about the repeated stanza

For the kingdom is Yours 
And the power is Yours 
And the glory forever
Amen 

Everything belongs to the Lord. The world, but today I was mostly focused on the people. Every heart is His to harden or soften. Every breath comes from His hand. He formed every body.  It all belongs to Him. I think that's why Jesus taught us to pray as He did.

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Matthew 6:9-13. 

In the ESV there is a note that says, "some manuscripts add, For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever, Amen" That's the way I learned it, but I'm not sure which translations include it. With or without it, there's still a recognition present: we pray for God's kingdom and for His will. We acknowledge our need for Him to provide for our needs and for Him to sustain us and lead us forward.

 I want to make the Lord's prayer more of my prayer life again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment