Thursday, November 19, 2015

From Bound to Beloved

I finished my twentieth read of the book of Philemon. I really enjoyed this book, more than I anticipated. I finally see what so many others around me have talked about before. It's a short book, it's really only a chapter, but there's something so beautiful going on.

Paul is writing to Philemon, who had a slave named Onesimus. Onesimus ran away and became a Christian, taught and mentored by Paul. Paul then writes this letter to Philemon and sends it with Onesimus, asking him to consider him a slave no more, and welcome him as a brother.

My haiku is

Slaves become brothers
The bound are called beloved
By the work of Christ

There's something so powerful about this tangible example of freedom in Christ. I challenge you to read this book a few times and see for yourself.

Rebels become heirs
Slaves become sons
Enemies become friends
Not My People become My People

This is the power of the gospel.

For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and lovingkindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works down by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by hisgrace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:3-7 

no longer as a bondservant but more than a bondservant, as a beloved brother - especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. Philemon 1:16 

For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility. And he came and preached peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near. For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God. Ephesians 2:13-19 

And I will have mercy on No Mercy, and I will say to Not My People, You are my people, and he shall say, You are my God. Hosea 2:23 




No comments:

Post a Comment