Friday, June 19, 2015

Something in Nothing

when the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst, I the Lord will answer them; I the God of Israel will not forsake them. I will open rivers on the bare heights, and fountains in the midst of the valleys. I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water. I will put in the wilderness the cedar, the acacia, the myrtle, and the olive. I will set in the desert they cypress, the plane and the pine together, that the hand of the Lord has done this, the Holy One of Israel has created it. Isaiah 41:17-20

I am poor and needy. I am thirsty. Only I'm lost. In the desert. And the only way out is through. Through the wilderness. Through miles and miles of sand. And I'm stuck. I can't move because I am so afraid of doing the wrong thing that I can't do anything. So the whole thought of getting out seems impossible. I literally cannot fathom what rescue will feel like or how it will come.

But that's exactly where Jesus meets me: in the impossible hope for what I cannot see. He promises an impossible rescue so that He will get all the credit and be known. He created everything out of nothing. Before I was formed, every one of my days was written in His book, and my frame was not hidden from His sight. God has been so faithful to write His word on my heart. I know His word. I know Him. But I can't see Him. I'm crying tears that aren't being wiped form my eye.

If I close my eye, I see myself in a sea, not of water, but sand. There is no sign of living water or bread. There is no door and no shepherd. And that's why there is a creation yet to happen - there are rivers and fountains to be opened. Pools and springs to be formed. Cedar and olive trees to be planted.

There is still so much something in all this nothing.

Even when it hurts like hell 
I'll praise You.
Even when it makes no sense to sing, 
Louder then I'll sing Your praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment