Saturday, June 21, 2014

Job

I love Job's story, and I love that it's in the Bible. I was reading yesterday and just had a couple notes: 

Lamenting is humbling -
I have sewed my sackcloth upon my skin and have laid my strength in the dust. Job 16:15 

Job had nothing left. He had nothing in himself to count on or be proud of; he saw himself as weak and at the mercy of his God. 

There is hope in the struggle - 
Even now; behold, my witness is in heaven, and he who testifies for me is on high. Job 16:19 

Job lost everything he owned. He lost his children. He lost his health. His wife, instead of following him in continuing to worship and not curse God, called him a fool (I have a lot of thoughts on Job's wife. Another time). And yet it was enough for him that he had a witness in heaven to speak for him. 

We shall see God - 
For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been this destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me! Job 19:25-27 

At Bible study recently we were talking about having a longing for heaven. Nearly all of us spoke with watery eyes as we thought about our desire to be with Jesus face to face forever. Job had that. And it held him. 

Closing thoughts from my journal: 

I'm so thankful that Job's story was given to us by God. I think it shows how much He knows the human heart- how badly we need an example of how to suffer. Sometimes I like to stop to think how God put His Word together, for generations to seek Him and know Him. It really shows His tremendous care for us. What a gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment