Thursday, June 5, 2014

A Bible Study in Seattle

I am a creature of habit. So much so that Betsy has more than once reminded me that the habits I set for myself are not rules and can most certainly be stepped around.

In any event, my Thursday mornings are a highlight of my week. I wake up at 4:45, read the Old Testament, eat breakfast, and read the New Testament. Then I go to Bible study at Zoka where the barista knows that I want a 12 ounce drip coffee in a mug. I go over to Mighty-Os where they know I don't want coffee because I just had some. And then I go grocery shopping.

For a long time, I had the same cashier at Trader Joe's every Thursday and for those of you who don't know this, Trader Joe's employees are generally some of the friendliest grocery store workers ever. So this girl who always ask me how Bible study was and about my church and it was quite pleasant.

But today, I had a new guy. He commented on how I'd gotten to the store right at opening, and so I said the usual, "Yup. I have a Bible study right over in Wallingford at 6, so I come here right after, and it's perfect timing"

And he said, "A Bible study in Seattle. That's an anomaly"

It was striking to me. I know Seattle is hipster. I know it's "unchurched". But I also know that one of the largest churches of our time started here. I know that the Christian community is deep and authentic and multi-generational and familial. I know that my church alone has groups that meet outside of Sunday service on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. And I know that when my church is wrapping up on Thursday mornings at Zoka, another group from another church is just getting started.

Anomaly? Maybe. Or maybe it just depends what angle you're looking from.

No comments:

Post a Comment