Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I Found a Place for my Soul to Rest

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! I've been working a whole lot, and I've been sick so the blogging hasn't been happening.

Speaking of sick and Christmas, that's what I was. I had the best Advent season I've ever had, but then Christmas Day, I'm pretty sure the only reason I woke up was because I would have otherwise suffocated due to inability to breath. I stumbled out of bed at 6am to take cold medicine and slept for another 3 1/2 hours, woke up, saw everyone else was still (sick) asleep, opened my door, and stayed in bed for another couple of hours. I managed to function enough for a Christmas lunch and presents, but more or less napped/read the rest of the day. So glad Christmas is about Jesus and not everything else because the everything else was not so thrilling this year.

And now speaking of not so thrilling, this was the first time in 19 years that I wasn't with my sister for Christmas. I'm seeing her tomorrow, but it's still sad. I remember Christmases when I was little that seem like they happened in an alternate universe, or to someone else, because the circumstances then were so different from now. Even last year, when things got weird, I had Jess to play parcheesi with me. Not everyone who reads this will know what I mean, but that's ok.

I was reflecting yesterday on what I could learn, and this is what I came up with:

The commercialization of Christmas provokes jealousy and longing. When I was younger, it was about gifts. Now, I would give anything for everyone to be together again. It's easy for me to believe that the grass is greener on the other side. At the same time, I know what Christmas is really about - the Word putting on flesh to dwell among us, knowing from birth that He would be forsaken. Jesus came to die, and to raise our dead hearts to life. That has to be enough for me, because it's the only thing I'll ever have for sure...I miss what used to be...Somehow, I have to believe this makes the truth of this season even sweeter. Christ knew He was stepping into our mess, a broken world, and He came anyway. God, You knew before You made us that this would be required, but You poured out the blood of Your Son voluntarily. Even as the people You love hurt You and each other, You care for us all most tenderly. 

Sorry if that was too depressing for the still Christmas after Christmas crowd.

I've been really into this song lately. Maybe that will help lift the mood.

Sun & Shield - Gateway Worship

I found a love that never lets me go. I found a joy deeper than what I've known
I found a place for my soul to rest and leave my burden and lose myself.

You are the shelter from the pouring rain. You are the freedom to begin again
You are the hope that will see me through. I leave my all and run to you

You are my sun and shield, beyond what i can feel
I put my trust in who you are

You are the strength in me, beyond what I can see
I put my trust in who you are

I will trust You, I will trust You

I will trust You, I Will trust You


I am at rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from Him. Psalm 62:1 

No comments:

Post a Comment